CONCEPT: "MOBIUS" - REAL Character Profiles ~ Scrapped Characters
Race: Polar Bear
Age: ~17 years of age?
(Speculation: This parameter is not indisputably confirmed. We've seen it listed as his age in one source, so we'll assume they've listed an official age. If his age is actually unknown, 17 would be a very good choice, anyway.)
Date of Birth: Unknown
Height: ~181 centimeters (5'11")
(This is not indisputably confirmed as Bark's height. We've seen this listed as his height in two sources. However, if untrue, it is still a very good speculatory height, since 5'11" suits Bark's species, age, and abilities quite well.)
(Speculation: Bark is a big guy and he obviously has a lot of strength. He is also of considerable age for a large weight. An ideal weight for Bark would be somewhere between 115 to 130 kilograms [253 to 286 lbs].)
Ability Type: N/A (Presumably Power)
Physical Techniques: N/A
Abilities and Aptitude:
(1). Bark is slow, but his power is off the charts, particularly in his long, lumbering arms. His arms are strong enough to support his weight and once you are heaved into the air by this titan, you're likely to be tossed far out into the horizon with his extraordinary body throws and kicks.
Hobbies and Talents: N/A
(1). Very sluggish and slow with his movements.
(2). Low intelligence.
- Light, close-lying beige fur
- Reddish-tan, long snouted skin muzzle
- Very large body in proportion to his head, with light beige furred very long and muscular arms and short legs
- Large, very serious looking eyes with black pupils/irises? and glassy white sclera
- Three thick tufts of bangs on his forehead, along with two on each side of his head going down like tendrils, and a very large amount of bunched up tufts of hair coming out from behind his head; probably held together at the base by a ring
- Round ears with white fur interiors
- Pointed, shiny black nose with no apparent nostrils
- Large, but short and stubby tail
- A pair of dark brown, boxing-glove-like winter mitts that are accented in yellow and applied to his wrists tightly by a red wristband between the glove and cuff
- White bandana-like article that is worn around his neck and draped over his chest
- Dark green scarf layered around his neck, overlaying the white bandana
- Red winter cap with apparent holes on the sides for his ears to expose themselves
- Rugged saddle brown, laced boots with dark brown and red trim and gray resin soles
Items & Weapons: N/A
Personality Details: Bark the Polar Bear's personality is just as hard to figure out as Bean's. You can only judge how he acts by his actions and he seems to be a rationally courteous, but tough and rugged type of guy. Even though he may not be all that smart, he doesn't look like someone who wants to beat around the bush and waste time on things he puts his mind to. Who knows how Bark acts? Odds are, we'll probably never find out.
Bark decided to strut his stuff upon acknowledgement of the fighting tournament Tails thought up to decide who should be given the noble task of destroying Dr. Robotnik's new Death Egg II before the "good doc" tries anything funny. Unfortunately, the rocket Tails built to launch the winner into space was a one-seater and required the power of the Chaos Emeralds. At the time, the Emeralds were all separated individually among a handful of lucky guys and gals all over the world and none of them would just give up their emerald when they had a shot to save the world, now would they? So thus, the fighting tournament began. Bark had the yellow Chaos Emerald.
Bark fought his way through the tournament using his mesmerizing body throws and incredible strength. But in the end, Sonic managed to collect all the Chaos Emeralds with his superior speed and thus completely tore down Eggman's fiendish plot, saving the world once more. Since then, Bark the Polar Bear has not been seen.
Greatest Friend(s): N/A.
Other Friend(s): N/A.
Love Interest(s): N/A.
Foe(s): Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik and Metal Sonic.
Favorite Food(s): Unknown.
Favorite Color(s): Unknown.
Favorite Music Genre(s): Unknown.
Place of Residence: Aurora Icefield, perhaps?
Franchise Name: Bark the Polar Bear
Original purpose: Supporting role in Sonic the Fighters.
Current purpose: N/A, character is scrapped.
Date of first promotion/presence in the industry: Bark's debut in the industry came along with the release of the Arcade title, Sonic the Fighters, released first in Japan on June of 1996.
Years in Service: Not even a year: Bark hasn't been seen since his cameo appearance as an unlockable playable character in Fighters Megamix, which was released on December 21st, 1996.
Impact on series/Likelihood of a possible return: Very low. Bark has barely any recognition in the fanbase, wasn't inspired by anything that would reward at least some popularity, and most of all, lacks almost all vital statistics worthy of making a return. Heck, he's only seen in the Archie comics nowadays, and even then, he doesn't speak at all! All he has on his side is that it would be neat to couple him with Bean if Bean was to return, which is a bit more likely. If he does make a comeback, the press won't give him a warm welcome.
Original Designer: Unconfirmed.
Design process: Unconfirmed. Bark's design process was probably similar to how all of the others were made. Many design sketches were made and Bark was chosen. Simple as that.
Possible design inspirations: No known design inspirations. Bark seems to be completely original.
Prestigious design variations: 1
+ - current design
- original design
- 1, Sonic the Fighters, 1996 + The picture at the top is for pure decoration. Although it is completely faithful to Bark's original appearance in general, it has been stylized to fit the new generation and is not how Bark's original design appears.
Known Sonic Game Voice Actors: N/A
Other Known Game Voice Actors: N/A
Sonic Games he has been playable in:
(1). Sonic the Fighters (Arcade)
(2). Sonic Gems Collection (GameCube)
Other games he has been playable in:
(1). Fighters Megamix (Saturn)
Sonic Games he has made an appearance in: N/A
- Sonic Generations: White Time and Space (PlayStation 3/Xbox 360, PC - on a "Wanted" poster in City Escape Zone)
Other games he has appeared in:
- Shenmue (Sega Dreamcast - as a figurine)
Non-video game portrayals:
(1). Sonic the Hedgehog, SOA-licensed by Archie Comics (Comic series)
(2). Sonic Universe, SOA-licensed by Archie Comics (Comic series)
Theme Song(s): N/A
Personal character analysis/commentary (by Ryan the Game Master):
It's my insistence that each and every member of the Sonic cast has potential to grow and be given a purpose. To me, no one deserves to be scrapped.
That being said, though, I'm neutral on Bark. He's a bit of a blank slate, and his tenure in the comics don't really help. I'll be glad if he returns (the cast needs more Power-types), but unless I can do something about it, I won't beg Sonic Team to bring him back.